Subject: Re: Mem Fragmentation - half solved
From: Acid Software <[email-masked]>
To: "Ott M. Aaloe" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 21:32:05 +1200 (NZST)

On Wed, 31 Aug 1994, Ott M. Aaloe wrote:

> > Finally, we call AllocMem_ with a huge value a lot.  This defrags the
> > memory to a large extent.
> > 
> I had same idea in mind. Can you explain a bit this bitmap cludge'ing.
> I had some problems with it. What exactly does this cludgebitmap 
> command want? Addres of a bitmap itself or the whole bitmap object 
> structure? Must I create my own bitmap struct by hand?? Hmm..yes
> here comes my other question. Someone explained once this but I lost

wo how about starting a new line once in a while ott! Anyway, the bitmap 
structure for blitz is just the object size, there is a pointer in this 
object that point to chipmem, be it a screensbitmap your bitmap or a 
cludged bitmap. cludgebitmap does not allocate ANY memory, instead uses 
withwords*height*bitplanes amount of the memory you supplied

> this msg so here it comes. How can I create blitz objects without
> useing blitz commands to allocate them. For example I think it's not 
> wise to  oad 10 samples one by one into memory. Instead I thought I 
> link all samples into one piece, alloc some chip and load linked 
> samples into it. Here's the problem - how I suppose to tell blitz that 
> I have sound object #1 starting from addr x, sound #2 startting from
> x+z etc.??
> 
>                 O.T.T. ([email-masked])
> 
> 

v1.9 contains decode commands that allow you to incbin sound, shapes etc 
into your program and then decode them, although these commands are 
accessible in RILibs and Elmore's include library I have decided to 
internalise them so that memory usage is both tight and tidy (minimum 
requirements and least amount of fragmenting), hmmm, 

hoping to have your current headaches sorted with this release...

p.s. if it didn't take me so long to test my code for such things before 
releasing it bum7 would have been finished tonight...